Gluten Free – Dairy Free Fudge
Author: Gluten-Free Gigi
- 3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounce) coconut milk (full fat, I use Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line an 8-inch square baking dish with aluminum foil, allowing foil to hang over the sides (you will use this to lift the fudge from the pan later).
- Grease the foil lightly; Set aside.
- In a large saucepan (4-quart or larger), combine sugar, cocoa, salt and coconut milk.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a full boil. Boil, not stirring, until the temperature reaches 234 degrees (use a clip-on candy thermometer for accuracy).
- Remove the pot from the heat; add Earth Balance and vanilla, but DO NOT STIR. Leave candy thermometer in place and allow the mixture to cool to about 125 degrees.
- Once cooled, use a wooden spoon to beat the mixture until it becomes thick and begins to lose its gloss.
- Quickly spread the fudge evenly into the prepared pan; Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, remove the fudge from the pan by lifting the foil lining.
- Cut into squares and store tightly wrapped at room temperature.